Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mighty Vancouver...

Well after discovering why most Americans apparently hate the Canadian's favourite beverage, namely 'root beer', I am again in a state that makes it possible for me to blog... So as a very short report of what we've done already, I want to start with the food here in Vancouver and since we are visiting my Chinese girlfriend's aunt that means pretty much all the Chinese food possible.

Allmost everything you eat over here is first of all authentic (going as far as celebrities from Hong Kong coming over here to have original Cantonese food that tastes better than at home... -we'll get to that later - As for the reason I guess Chefs earn a lot more here than over in China, which makes coming to Canada to cook an easy choice...) and second of all DELICIOUS. I ate the best sticky rice and congee I've eaten in my life over here and I won't even start to talk about the cakes you can get.

We already went all around the city. Pretty much meaning that we went to Downtown Vancouver and the Metrotown Mall quite often, which are some of the best shopping areas over here, which - do I even have to say that - naturally my girlfriend enjoys a lot (my wallet doesn't though *grin*).

Other than that we went to the biggest fair in all of British Columbia, the so called 'PNE', visited the Richmond Night Market and went to play Beach Volleyball at the beach close to one of Vancouvers Unis (the weather over here really treats us nicely with sunny 25-30°C). We also went to a nice Chinese style garden or park close to Chinatown, which even looks really pretty on the pictures I took. Here's one for you guys:

Alright, now to todays special event. My girlfriend's aunt works in a quite famous Cantonese restaurant here in Vancouver and she had heard that 4 Hong Kong movie stars were coming there tonight after a show they were doing for the biggest Cantonese TV station here in Canada. So we both dressed up and went there, to see if we could catch a chance of seeing them. That's how nice we looked:

Then when the celebrities were leaving we got a chance to take a picture with the actress my girlfriend likes the most, namely 'Ada Choi' or in Chinese '蔡少芬'. What?!? You don't believe me? Well here's the proof (and if you do not believe that that is a Hong Kong movie star -> look here):

Well that was quite exciting. We'll see who else we meet. Maybe next weekend we will drive down to America and if I meet everyone's favourite George W. Bush, I'll be sure to wear my favourite T-Shirt - you know which one I mean... Best wishes from Canada.

Staroc out...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9/07/2006 12:04 pm, Blogger Staroc said...

So as you can see the order of pics and things we did is as follows:

1. Eating CHINESE Food
2. Visiting CHINESE Park
3. Meeting CHINESE Star

Gee, I really wanna know what CHINESE thing will be number 4 >;o)

It is just that about 40% of Vancouver population seem to be Asian or Chinese, so just naturally there is a lot of them and related activities over here...

The only one who can beat me at that is of course Han...

 
At 9/18/2006 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you! Now I am hungry!

Also I thought your girlfriend is vietnamese? Now I am really *confused*.

 
At 9/19/2006 3:01 am, Blogger Staroc said...

Hehe, it's complicated: She was born in Vietnam and raised there till the age of 8, however her family is of Cantonese origin (Guandung Province in China). So at home they've always spoken Cantonese, thus she is maybe more Chinese than Vietnamese, but we do hang out more with Vietnamese people... Hehe I am hungry again aswell, tonight we're celebrating my girlfriend's aunt's birthday. We'll have Bún Rieu and fresh and fried Spring Rolls (I know THAT is Vietnamese food, but I just love it...). Have fun back in Germany...

 
At 9/19/2006 1:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm I guess I am getting hungry again, though I just had some good salmon and potatoes at the IBM cantine :)
I hope that you still have nice weather - over here it's starting to get fall... I always thought that fog only appears in London and in the Rhine valley but apparently the Stuttgart area get's a lot, too :?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home