Friday, November 18, 2005

Chinese Geisha...

Well I don't know if you have seen the new Harry Potter ('Goblin on fire'...meaning Dobby or sth. similar) yet, but you will find my review of the movie here somewhen next week.

Besides the trailers for Chronicles of Narnia and King Kong there was this one trailer for 'Memoirs of a Geisha' which at the time (1997ish) was a must-read novel. Well I didn't read it but the trailer itself looks promising. The only little problem that I had with it was that 3 of the main characters (Geishas respectively) aren't played by Japanese Actresses but by Chinese ones! Now don't get me wrong, I love good-looking Chinese actresses [god my own girlfriend is sorta Chinese] but the American directors are inviting trouble:

I don't know if you have followed the recent conflicts of these two Asian countries, mostly centered on a Japanese history book that plays down their cruel military acts commited during the second world war on chinese civilians. Now there was quite some more screaming when the Chinese public learned that Zhang Ziyi would play a 'japanese whore'. Contained within this statement are several misconceptions:

[Photo]

First of all it is suggested that the otherwise gorgeous Zhang Ziyi could 'play' this role. Obviously she can't, her acting isn't well enough to play such a role!!! Ha ha - gotcha! Nahhh of course I meant that she can't play this role in a metaphorical sense, since she is that good that she actually becomes the character she plays as long as she's acting (portrayal of the blind dancer in House of the flying Daggers was that great). Since she is gorgeous and strong and well-of she could never become a whore, so the statement is void already.

Second 'geishas' aren't prostitutes in the traditional (yep long tradition!!!) meaning of the word. 'Gei' means art and as such they are women of art. The art of entertainment (that may include sexual entertainment, yes, but is never obligatory and happens out of the geisha's free will or desire - much like at prom night), music, dancing, conversation or the well-known tea-ceremony. So that makes the statement wrong aswell.

Third, Zhang Ziyi's Geisha will have the special and remarkable feature of having blue eyes! I don't know about you, but I don't know any (pure-blood ~ Oh god a Harry Potter reference - shame on me) japanese girl with fucking blue eyes; as cool as this may prove to look in the end. So third point that's wrong in there.

In the end, I do think it might become a great movie to the likes of Last Samurai, especially due to having only Asian main characters. Zhang Ziyi will play the protagonist with the given name of 'Sayuri', the wonderful Michelle Yeoh will feature as her mentor and Li Gong will play a rival geisha by the name of Hatsumomo. Enjoy these chinese ladies, speaking English with their sweet accents, alongside Japanese actors like Ken Watanabe speaking with their Japanese accents. I look forward to finding out, IF the chinese actors got lessons to acquire a Japanese-English accent.

Let's close this treatise with a truly marvelous picture from last years oscars. Now ain't she beautiful?

[Photi]

Well she doesn't always look THAT good, especially without make-up, but then, who does (plus she's still cute) >;o)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11/23/2005 9:36 am, Blogger Staroc said...

He he he! To true, but just as a little comment: I do think that little Ziyi will be great in that movie and role, since I see her as an embodyment of the fine arts (with that I refer mainly to dance, singing and conversation other derivable arts may be included though). With my respective comments on her ability to play I just wanted to express that Ziyi does more than act, she sort of surges the energy from a scriptual character right out of the book and BECOMES this person for as long as she's acting. It's more like a séance than an act! Thus I wanted to express my ultimate devotion and respect for her work in my usual sarcastic way, first leading peoples thoughts to think something that I do not intend but motivate intentionally so that they see that first thoughts are not always correct when it comes to language >;o)

This was also the reason for putting the little joke with the 'SHUT UP' phrase being an explanation for being Lost in the last blog entry. It is in that situation as good as a 'yes' or more extensive explanation. I love that kind of language flow as you will notice in my blog quite often...

Oh and before I forget buddy: WRITE SOME MORE ABOUT JAPAN, I AM WAITING OVER A WEEK NOW (or sth.) SINCE YOUR LAST ENTRY!!! WRITE MORE!!!

Peace! And Staroc out

 
At 11/23/2005 3:25 pm, Blogger Staroc said...

Which is quite intentionally so, because I do not like blunt statements, but rather have readers wonder about implications >;o) So I am actually happy if my texts lead to confusion sometimes or even if they do so often! HEHEHE - Staroc out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home